Friday, January 9, 2009

Another brick in the wall


Adam, Noel and Pepe finished the brick wall this morning after four and a half days of work. It was difficult to communicate at times, he says, but got easier over the week. "I don't speak correctly," says Adam, "but they understand me. I speak in fragments. And there's some phrases he knows in English that I translate." When we aren't talking about bricks and cement, says Adam, we talk about fun stuff — sports, music, making jokes. "Sometimes I translate lyrics to songs for him," says Adam. They also had a conversation about independence, when Pepe asked Adam what he thinks makes a free country. "We did that in Spanish," says Adam. "I couldn't believe I did that." We are now going to Léon for the weekend, to climb the Cerro Negro volcano and SLED DOWN IT. On Monday, Adam will help Pepe and Noel rebuild Pepe's kitchen ceiling. Meredith will again head to the remote health posts and I will go with her.
I took this photo of Adam and Noel yesterday, when they were nearing the finish line.

No comments:

Post a Comment