Tuesday, January 6, 2009

First English class


"My name is Adam. My birthday is March 13 and I am 21 years old. I am from New York City. I go to college in a small town. My favorite color is green. I like to swim and read books."

"My name is Meredith. I am from New York. I am 21 years old. My favorite color is also green and my favorite TV show is 'House.'" After Adam and Meredith introduce themselves, the English class asks them questions: What is your name? How many countries have you visited?
"Only two," says Adam. "The United States and Nicaragua."
Are they married? Do they have a favorite sport? How do they feel of Nicaragua?
"It's hot," says Adam, tugging his shirt away from his chest as the class laughs.
It's a full house for the first English language class, including some new students.
The youngest are teenagers, like Manuel, and others are older, fathers and mothers with families at home. They are here three times a week from 6 to 8 p.m. practicing English for fun and mostly to better their chances at obtaining better-paying and more steady jobs.

Henry volunteers to translate as they intdroduce me and that I am here to write about Genseo's English school here and our service-learning program. Henry tells them my favorite color is black, I like soccer and have been writing for about four months for the college.

Then, it is games, a reading lesson and now Yacarely is practicing the days of the month and seasons with the new people — a circle of at least six people who have decided to join. Adam is laughing with Wilfredo, a veterinarian, and Mayra, a stylist, as they poke over vocabulary in the reading lesson.

He comes in.
"It's easier than I thought it would be," he says to Kellan. "And I was practicing my Spanish with Pepe today and I was teaching him some English. I can't believe I was doing that."

Outside, the class is breaking up for the night and I ask Kellan how many students there are. 19.
There is no more room, or chairs.
"I think we're done taking people in for now," says Kellan.
It's a good full to be.

Kellan says that they had a Christmas party before break. No one knew what to do because they had to speak in English.
"I needed to do something to break the ice," says Kellan, remembering. He had them play a round of musical chairs. Those who got out had to dance in the center with someone.
"It was
getting rowdy here. People were laughing and pulling chairs out from the others ... It was great."


No comments:

Post a Comment