Sunday, January 11, 2009

First time on a public bus

This is from when Meredith and I went on the bus with Yuritza, a health-care worker, to a remote community outpost. It was our first experience on the bus.

We board the school bus and take a seat in front of Yuritza, who is training to become a nurse. She works with the El Sauce health center, working with remote communities in family planning and baby wellness. We're going to Huge Arevalo with her, a community with 200 families who rely on mostly subsistence farming of corn, beans, wheat and other crops. Paint is peeling off the overhead storage shelves and a crack stretches top to bottom on the windshield. A sign above the driver says "this bus has one master — Jesus Christ. Our mission is to serve him."
The plaque on the entryway reminds us its our bus, so take care of it.
I flashback to kindergarten, when I stood outside my house waiting for my first ubs ride, my bus number pinned to my shirt so I couldn't forget it.
One of these yellow giants could be very bus that took me to school in Honeoye Falls.
All the transport buses here are old U.S. school buses. The Blue Bird made in Georgia plaque and "Your child's safety is our business" signs are still on the dash.
It's our first bus ride in El Sauce.
Beside me is a young man I recognize from Kellan's basketball team. A grey-haired woman in flip flops is tapping her foot in the aisle as the mom in front of me pats the forehead of her baby daughter. Pulling out of the station, we're on our way and I feel like I'm in a neighbor's car. Or in the '80s. Eighties music is popular here. Air Supply plays big concerts and now I'm hearing Journey sing about being "forever yours, faithfully," as the driver and his assistant yell and wave friends we pass in the street. At times we stop so they can holler a better hello.
A few minutes later, the driver's assistant leans out, shakes a man's hand and hops off out of sight. A minute later he strides by carrying a tire iron and we feel him change the tire. Everyone waits patiently. After about five minutes the driver and his assistant hop back on and we're off.
No one says a word about it and no one seems to get upset. It's part of the process and we're going with the flow too.

No comments:

Post a Comment