Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Grinding corn



This morning Meredith and I went with a health-care worker, Yuritza, to the small rural community of Hugo Arevalo.
She is part of a state program that reaches out to women who otherwise have little health-care access.
We camped out at Yermina's house with her children and waited for the mothers and their babies to come. Like many things in Nicaragua time is laidback and not always punctual. We were there all morning and moms could wander over when they wanted.
This gave us a lot of time to visit with Yermina's family, who were hand grinding corn they had grown in the fields around their house. Ana Francis, the cute girl in this photo, let me try too. If it looks like I'm really hot and sweaty, it's because I am.
Then, they gave me a tortilla made from the corn I ground and Meredith a corn drink.
"It tasted like corn, only sweeter. Sort of like a milkshake," said Meredith.

No comments:

Post a Comment